Pages

Sunday 24 February 2013

Grammar (2) -  Present Perfect Simple vs. Present Perfect Continuous

See also: Grammar (1) - Present Perfect vs. Simple Past!


Both the Present Perfect Simple and the Present Perfect Continuous tenses relate a past action to the present.

She has been in the same company for 8 years.
She has been working for the same company for 8 years.

The Present Perfect Simple is used to refer to a completed action and to focus more on achievements and results.

She’s travelled a lot abroad but she’s never been to Asian countries.
Have you ever tried to learn the Chinese language?
Has she posted the letters yet?
I’ve already checked my mails today.

The Present Perfect Continuous is rather used to emphasise the length of time an action or activity has lasted, or to focus on the continuous nature of the action / activity (mostly with rather negative connotations) or else to suggest that the activity described is not yet completed.

I’ve been standing here on this platform in the cold for one hour and the train hasn’t arrived yet.
I’m fed up with you. You’re never on time: I’ve been waiting for you again!
She’s been working in that awful factory for 15 years now.
What have you been doing?  You’re all covered in paint!
I've been typing on my computer for hours now! My eyes are stinging now!

 Compare:
He has been writing lots of articles for various newspapers since the 1990s.
He has written an article about the recent events in Belgian politics.

She’s read two books this week.
She’s been reading her book all morning but she still hasn’t finished the first chapter.

Who has eaten all the crisps? There are none left!
Who has been eating my pack of crisps? It’s almost empty.

Exercises.
1 Choose the best form to complete the sentences.

We’ve cleaned up / We’ve been cleaning up the attic all afternoon. I’m tired now.
I’ve written / I’ve been writing that report and it’s really annoying.
I’ve typed / I’ve been typing the report. You can now read it.
She has known / has been knowing Peter for 10 years now.
Have you ever eaten / Have you ever been eating insects?
Sorry, the kitchen is now a mess: I’ve cooked / I’ve been cooking dinner.
She’s driven / She’s been driving 150 kilometres to see her mum.
We’ve driven / We’ve been driving more than 1,000 kilometres. I’m totally shattered.

 

2 Use the words given to complete the sentences.

Why are your eyes so red?   I /  type / report  / computer
Do you know where the boss is? No, I don’t. I / see / all morning
You look very tired. Yes, I / work / all night long.
Can I have the remote control? No, you can’t. I / finish / watch / yet / this programme
He’s a real chocoholic. He / not / stop / eat  /today
He’s a real chocoholic. He / eat / all day long
How well do you know her? I / know / 15 years
I haven’t seen you for a long time. What / you / do / ?
There you are. We / look for you / all morning

 

When you are finished, check your answers!

1
We’ve been cleaning up the attic all afternoon. I’m tired now.
I’ve been writing that report and it’s really annoying.
I’ve typed the report. You can now read it.
She has known Peter for 10 years now.
Have you ever eaten insects?
Sorry, the kitchen is now a mess: I’ve been cooking dinner.
She’s driven 150 kilometres to see her mum.
We’ve been driving more than 1,000 kilometres. I’m totally shattered.

 
2
Why are your eyes so red?   I’ve been typing a report on my computer.
Do you know where the boss is? No, I don’t. I haven’t seen him all morning.
You look very tired. Yes, I’ve been working all night long.
Can I have the remote control? No, you can’t. I haven’t finished watching this programme yet.
He’s a chocoholic. He hasn’t stopped eating chocolate today.
He’s a chocoholic. He’s been eating chocolate all day long.
How well do you know her? I’ve known her for 15 years.
I haven’t seen you for a long time. What have you been doing?
There you are. We’ve been looking for you all morning.

 



 

No comments: